Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Workity work

On Friday I had two job interviews - one over the phone, for a biology-type job that I was pretty excited about, the other an in-person second interview for the position as a tech writer for an engineering firm.

The phone interview was a little more exciting than I had expected. They were supposed to call at 10:50, and when they hadn't called at 10:53, Douglas suggested I check our new digital phone for dial tone. No dial tone!!! Eek! We rushed around trying to fix it, and I ended up using Skype to call the office, and someone patched me through to the interviewers. Whew. They said they were impressed that I managed to get through to them in spite of having a broken phone, and the rest of the interview went well. Their hiring timeline is pretty long, though, and they won't even be getting back to me on whether or not I get a second interview until later this week.

The afternoon interview went well, too, in spite of my unprofessional shoes (little slip-ons that I bought in Argentina), and on Monday, the engineering firm called me back and offered me a position starting Wednesday (today), and I took it.

What to say about my first day. I think I'll just say that it reminded me why I like working as a biologist. But it will do in the interim. I'm correcting engineer's reports for spelling, grammar, readability. The people are nice.

The mountains are glorious today, so I'm off for a walk with Saira. Douglas left last night for NC, to go to Dean and Annette's wedding. He should be landing in the South right about now, and heading up to the mountains. Lucky boy! I miss him already.

No comments:

Post a Comment