Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Seven Dollar Suit

While I am working on the website for the new Biodiversity Museum (the site will go public soon and I'll post a link) up at UBC, I am also hunting for a more permanent job. Today I had an interview at a fairly businesslike company. After 8 years working as a lab scientist, my closet is not exactly full of business attire. And, after 8 months of travelling the world, my wallet is not exactly full of money.

So, last night, after reviewing my selection of potential interview wear (Douglas said "if you're going to wear that, you might as well wear your hiking boots, too"), we set out in search of a suit. Eek! A suit. My goodness. Don't worry, though, with our current budget limitations, we couldn't go out and buy a *real* suit, so we went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Whew. Saved from proper business attire by a technicality.

Surprise, surprise, success! We found a grey matching pant/jacket set that I actually think is pretty cute. It's a little on the small side, though. I have to suck in my belly to do up the button. And I can't move my arms too much. But that's OK - I don't think you're supposed to wave your arms around in job interviews, anyhow. Or so I'm told.

I paid for the suit, a whole seven dollars. Even the lady at the cash register thought I was getting a good deal. I chuckled to myself as I pulled out my wallet - the wallet that cost at least 5 times as much as the suit! Times change...

The suit wasn't the only part of my outfit that was a little on the sketchy side, either. I picked an old favorite pair of shoes that look business like enough, black leather mules with chunky heels. They're at least 10 years old and nicely broken in, but still very respectable. This morning I put them on confidently and strolled out to the bus stop. Something seemed funny about the left heel, but I ignored it. On the bus I noticed that there were some loose bits of rubber around the soles. O, well, I thought, I'll just keep my scruffy feet tucked away during the interview.

On the way home, though, my shoes starting feeling even wonkier, and I took another look at them. They had completely disintegrated!!! They looked perfect when I put them on, but after 30 minutes of walking, the rubber was stripped off the soles, and the heel was falling off in huge chunks!! I wonder if I left a big piece of shoe in the interview room...

Anyhow, the suit must have done its job, because I have a second interview on Friday! Keep your fingers crossed for me, 'cuz baby needs a new pair of shoes!!



Another piece of good news today - we finally have internet and a phone at home!! We haven't had a phone in 8 months. People can call us now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. My god. I don't think I've ever seen shoes disintegrate like that. And that counts pulling out my old Birks from last season and seeing them eaten away by mold! Ew...

    Good luck on the next interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me neither! And they looked perfect when I put them on. I couldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Kim! Keep us posted :) I'm all for new shoe purchases, myself.

    ReplyDelete