Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Inappropriate shoes

My one respectable, professional pair of shoes died a noble death in my job interview last week, and when I went to work this morning, it was hard to choose which pair of inappropriate shoes I should wear. I had noticed in my interview that dress at my new workplace is on the casual side of business casual. I looked at my Keens, which are closed-toed, muted blue, lace-up shoes. I looked at my impractical little flip-floppy Argentinean shoes. I picked my Keens. I wore a button-down shirt and some nice pants, but I still picked my Keens.

I got the usual first-day run-around in the office, with introductions to absolutely everyone, and an avalanche of information. Normal for a first day, and far from the most intimidating first day I have ever had. But everyone seemed to think I might be intimidated. They kept asking if I was scared yet, and if I was planning to come back tomorrow. Until one fellow said "Nah, she's wearing hiking boots, I don't think she scares easy."

Hiking boots???? Did I commit a serious corporate style faux pas?

Tonight I am packing my bag for tomorrow's early wake up call, and wondering about which shoes to choose. Do I keep wearing the "hiking boots"? I never deal with clients, and the shoes are comfy. Or do I wear my ultra-girly Argentinean shoes with the embroidered flowers?

It's an office of engineers - I'm definitely in the female minority. Do I toe the girly style line? Or do I keep wearing my "tough" hiking shoes? I want to wear my "doesn't scare easy" boots. I'm not sure if that's rational. But I think it's what I'll do anyway.

8 comments:

  1. ha ha!!! I guess you know what you're getting first with that first paycheck? Look out fluevog!!
    Loving your blog! keep it up!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, we never properly thanked you for the great shirt you gave us for Isla when you were on the road. Thanks so much for thinking of us!! I can't wait till she fits into it!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how other people manage to zoom in on things we feel slightly self conscious about? That's totally weird that he zeroed in on that. Plus, Keen's as hiking boots??!!?

    I'd go for comfort -- but get yourself to a shoe store! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha - don't let [male] engineers be your style police...

    fwiw, as a best-of-both-worlds for comfort and professional/girly style, I'd recommend ballet flats. They come in a wide range of substyles from ultra-conservative to ueber-hip and go with everything from ripped jeans to ball gowns. I got some really soft glove-like ones I love at Stoneridge last year (alas, no Stoneridge in the US).

    ...and congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count on a shoe post to bring out the comments! 8) I've been browsing at shoe stores, picking out the pair I'll get when I get paid. I like the ballet flats idea, and I've seen a lot of really cute pairs of those around. Plus, my weird feet will actually fit into them!!!

    Note to self - try not to let (male) engineers police my style...! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you're welcome for the shirt - I couldn't resist it when I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. one boot & one girly shoe!
    i dare you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice post...i too faced many problem with the shoes....but now iam ok after choosing nike shoes...

    ReplyDelete