Thursday, October 04, 2007

Tango in San Telmo

I just found a few of my favorite pictures from Buenos Aires. On Sundays in San Telmo there is an antique market that stretches for blocks and blocks. There are tango dancers, street vendors, free hugs, street orchestras, and, yes, antiques.







When night fell, they cleared part of the square, laid down a portable dance floor, and set up some big speakers. Then the locals came out to tango. My favorite part was the expression on their faces while they danced: utterly, utterly absorbed. This video is dark, but you can hear the music and get an impression of what neighbourhood tango is like.



And, because they are the very best cookies in the whole wide world, some pictures of alfajores. They sort of look like hamburgers, but they are melt-in-your-mouth cookie sandwiches filled with caramel.





3 comments:

  1. My favourite is the Kim-the-cookie-monster shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy, i was leaning toward not going to argentina after the travel agent told me tickets in dec. would be $840 (!), but uhh, the look of that cookie just might change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that cookie is just the tip of the Argentinean food iceberg. I daydream about Buenos Aires all the time. I want to find a way to go back there *soon*. You should go in Dec if you can....

    ReplyDelete