Thursday, January 31, 2008

triple eek!

It has been a crazy pair of days.

First. Yesterday there was a lockdown in my building because someone e-mailed in a threat to do harm to someone in the building. Everyone in the building was either evacuated or told to stay behind locked doors from 2pm onwards. They brought in the SWAT team, there were helicopters circling, and general mayhem ensued. Fortunately, the SWAT team didn't find anyone, no one was hurt, and everyone eventually got to leave their offices (some people as early at 4:30, some as late at 6pm). I was evacuated, went to a meeting in another building, and then went home, after asking the campus police to turn off the little old space heater I had left on beside my desk.

Second. The Canada Immigration website says that they have processed my Irish husband's application, and mailed him his working papers! He's in shock at the thought of having to go back to work. He may have to ease into it, and is considering driving a snow grooming machine on the local ski hill for a while.

Third. I coordinated another big grant application this week. This one is ~42 single-spaced pages long, and has contributions from 6 people, including me. I've finally written my parts, gathered everyone else's parts, and made them all sound like they are part of a single application. Tomorrow I have to finish figuring out the budget and cut and paste it all into ridiculous online forms. Lots of work!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I heard about the lockdown at the biology building at UBC but I thought you were in some museum building far away. But no - it was your building! I'm glad you are ok.:) But poor Douglas - I hope he will be able face working life again! Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, the museum building is still under construction. I am temporarily based in the herbarium, hanging out with my old herbarium friends. It's good!

    ReplyDelete